Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Apple Crisp Crumbles

Here's what you do when you refuse to buy apples because you already have about 100 pints of applesauce on the shelves from last year's crop. And, of course, there are no fresh McIntosh apples on our tree because this year we had a total apple crop failure.


Above is a part of a typical crop from our lone McIntosh tree (For those of you who like to play 'which of these things doesn't belong here', you're right: the yellow basket contains onions!) :-)  So, back to 'what to do' with no fresh apples but lots of applesauce.

Starting with Bob's Red Mill GF oats, I placed the following ingredients into a bowl:

2 c. brown sugar
1 1/3 c. brown rice flour
2/3 c. tapioca flour
2 c. BRMGF oats
1 T. cinnamon
1 T. nutmeg
3/4 c. soft butter

An apple crisp recipe will call for more butter and more sugar. I didn't want it very sweet, and I definitely didn't want the crumbles to feel greasy.


With a pastry blender, thoroughly cut butter into the mix. Pour the mix out onto a greased (cooking spray) heavy cookie sheet. Bake at 375 degrees for 28 minutes, stirring at least twice during the bake time so that it doesn't burn.


Pour a little applesauce into a sauce dish (or one of the cute plates that Becky and Ian gave you) and sprinkle the crumbles over the top. When cool, store remaining crumbles in an air-tight container. I think I'll keep mine in the freezer until I want to use them again.


Another time I would have put a little GF vanilla bean ice cream on top also. It was probably a good thing I didn't have any on hand in my moment of weakness.

P.S. I always wonder why people usually have a negative first reaction to the words 'gluten free.' I think people don't like the sound of the word 'gluten.' But it's kind of like saying, 'poison free.'  And you never hear anyone saying, 'Oh please, don't leave out the poison!' So why wouldn't they be happy to hear that their food is going to be free of that scary stuff, 'gluten!'   Such a puzzle.


This post is linked to Tempt my Tummy Tuesday
and Tasty Tuesdays
and Tasty Tuesday Parade of Foods
and Tuesdays at the Table
and Tuesday Tag-Along

19 comments:

Linda... said...

Sounds quite yummy to me! I love trying different apple crisp and apple kuchen recipes! Thanks and have a great day.
http://Lindalovesblog.blogspot.com

Michelle said...

Looks like a great apple crisp recipe! I love macintosh apples, they are my favorites. Trying not to be jealous of your apple trees:-)

Maryanne said...

Brilliant! I'm definitely going to have to try this recipe this month. I'm sorry your apple tree didn't follow through with producing any apples for you though. What a bummer! :(

Following you now through TAT!

Unknown said...

LOL.. WHAT? No poison? Forget it, it can't be good! hehe Seriously, though, I like the idea of using the applesauce instead of the fresh apples when you can't get them. Apple crisps are one of my favorite fruit deserts!

Unknown said...

I keep sending these recipes on to a girl friend. Both she and her daughter have Silica's, and so I am always keeping an eye out here in blog world for good things to pass along! It's not too bad for anyone!

Andrea the Kitchen Witch said...

McIntosh apples are the best! Sauce made from them, topped with these crumbles, well that's happiness in a bowl! YUM!

Sherry @ Lamp Unto My Feet said...

YUM! Just made some apple crisp last night! Love the smell of it baking! Bring on fall!

Denise said...

Looks really good.

Yenta Mary said...

Oh, that looks so amazing!!! I have a bag of apples at home that I've been hoping to make into applesauce ... now I know what to do with the applesauce once I've made it!

April@The 21st Century Housewife said...

The topping sounds so delicious and healthy, and that is before you get to the applesauce! Thanks for sharing your recipe.

Melinda said...

Oh my! True confessions here - the topping on the apple crisp is my favorite part! An entire pan of just topping would be heavenly!

Pam said...

You always have the best looking dishes. Yum! BTW, you could totally carve initials in Stone Mountain and no one would notice. There is a ton of graffeti there.

the country cook said...

Haha...I've always had an aversion to "gluten free" recipes because they are so complicated! But, as you know, I make them now. Life is funny like that.

alicia said...

Interesting idea. Looks yummy. I'm sure I'd be finding all sorts of applesauce recipes too. Thanks for linkin up to tasty tuesdays.

Deborah said...

Very interesting recipe my friend. I have never had applesauce apple crisp and probably wouldn't unless someday I had lots of canned applesauce. Good way to improvise and still have a yummy dessert. :)

Mama Hen said...

I bet your kitchen always smells delicious! This looks great! I have to try this. We are going apple picking this week. Have a great night!

Mama Hen

SomeGirl said...

That looks good! Sorry to hear your crop didn't make it this year. :(

Jean at The Delightful Repast said...

What a terrific way to use some of your lovely homemade applesauce! Judy, this is brilliant! I've been doing more gluten-free baking lately. Just did GF chocolate cupcakes this week.

partialemptynester said...

Eww, I think I've learned enough about gluten to be thrilled when it is "gluten free"...almost sounds like "Glue-Free"...who wants glue in their food? If I can't put a picture to it in my head, I don't like the sound of it in my ingredients...that's my rule of thumb, lol! My sis-in-law gave me a similar recipe just the other day that she'd prepared...can't wait to myself!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails