Thursday, September 23, 2010

The Last Rose of Summer...

...so to speak. I actually don't raise roses. They tend to threaten the reputation of my 'green thumb.' I've had a few bad experiences. The reason I'm posting these photos which I took on September 18, is that it never ceases to thrill me to see the beauty of the flowers that are still holding their color, even the middle of September.



We will soon have a hard frost and will lose this stunning color until next spring.  We, who choose to live in NW Wisconsin, will live in a world of white from November or December until sometime in mid April, when the daffodils bloom.



So, I enjoy and appreciate every bit of living color I can get now. I suspect that this is my very last echinacea of the season.



Impatiens


Zinneas


 Petunias


When we take the time to look closely at any one of these blossoms, to notice its distinct complexity, we can't help but be reminded of how much care went into the design. The same One who designed the intricate blossoms of the zinnea and echinacea also designed each one of us and cares about the smallest details of our lives.


...God opposes the proud but gives grace to the humble. Humble yourselves, therefore, under God's mighty hand, that He may lift you up in due time. Cast all your anxiety upon Him,  for He cares for you.  I Peter 5:5b-7
    




12 comments:

Denise said...

Such beauty, thanks for sharing.

Unknown said...

Don't petunias hang on until the last possible moment? I love zinnias, and they are one of my dad's favorite! Thanks for the pretty post!

Emily {Frilly Details} said...

What a beautiful post! Thanks for sharing your lovely pictures. Everything look gorgeous!

Unknown said...

Beautiful pictures! I love seeing color like that. Living in the desert, we don't get that much color throughout the year. The better part of the time it's mainly brown...except in the spring when all the cactus bloom, then you really take note to the beauty that the desert can hold.

Ma What's 4 dinner said...

What is the first picture? Is that a zinnea? It's so perfect. Thanks for the inspiration...

Lots of yummy love,
Alex aka Ma What's For Dinner
www.mawhats4dinner.com

Candace said...

The flowers in your garden are gorgeous! You took really beautiful photos of them too. I love those purple and white petunias. They are some of my favorites!

Rachel said...

Those are beautiful!! I'm so jealous of your green thumb!!

:)
Rachel

Andrea the Kitchen Witch said...

Beautiful!! I, too, have been soaking in every ounce of color I can see. Here in southern CO its brown and tan from October until Aprilish. The long lasting blooms of zinnias, petunias and the daisy family make me smile :)

Deborah said...

Hi My friend, I enjoyed looking at the photos but loved the verse more. It is another awesome promise from our Father...and it brings to my mind another verse; 'Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above and cometh down from the Father of lights, with whom is no variableness, neither shadow of turning.' We can count on Him always and how comforting that is to know. Thanks for the very nice post. :D

Mama Hen said...

I love the color of the petunias! I still have some flowers hanging in there. I also appreciate the color still coming up! I also can't wait for pumpkin picking and some pretty mums to put in the yard. Have a great night!

Mama Hen

Judy S. said...

Nice to get caught up on your blog, Judy. We've been in Chicago for a week of GK. It was fun, but we are tired. Fall has come here, too, with lots of chilly rain and our garden is getting a bit droopy looking. Your York photos make me want to get back on the plane.........

Yenta Mary said...

Those are so, so beautiful! It's hard to see them go; but if we had them year 'round, we might take them for granted rather than truly appreciating them in the Spring when we see them again ....

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails