Thursday, June 23, 2011

Flowers that Bloom in June

 Seven Sisters Roses

I think these are called Seven Sisters Roses, for they bloom in clusters of seven. When we moved here many years ago, we removed an old wood pile from the yard and in no time roses were growing where the wood pile had been. They've  been going 'wild' ever since. They are beautiful, but it's a challenge to keep them confined. (I'm thinking that it probably wasn't an accident that the wood pile had been put on top of the rose patch!)




Roses with the backdrop of the front yard and maple tree where Bridger and Misty found the bear last summer.  In case you haven't seen a black bear in a while, you might enjoy reading that post!




These are the purple and white bearded irises that my mom gave to me and which my dad helped me plant in 2003. Do you think it's time I thinned them out a bit???




The beautiful rust colored irises given to me by my sister. I love that color! 


The blue ruffled iris and blue (or purple) salvia.  

Also, the cranberries and strawberries are blooming, so it's hopeful that there will be a nice little crop of berries this year - especially after some of the all-day, drenching rains we've had lately. The strawberries are for us (can't wait to make Mary's strawberry shortcake!) and the cranberries are for the birds - mostly the cedar waxwings who will congregate here one day next spring and eat them all at once!

What's blooming where you live?

P.S. Did you enter my Handcrafted Soaps Giveaway yet?  Check it out! It ends Sunday night.

Have a wonderful day!  I see that it's another rainy day here, but it's another day I don't have to water the garden!


Photobucket
Author, Second Chance - A Tale of Two Puppies
Check out my handcrafted soaps at Soap'n'Such

11 comments:

Empty Nester said...

GORGEOUS! Everything is just gorgeous! I LOVE that rust color! I never even knew there was a flower that color---

I entered. Now, I want to WIN! LOL

Unknown said...

Absolutely beautiful! Love the blue irises.. they are my favorite

Beth Zimmerman said...

Hi Judy!
I keep seeing you around blogdom. Decided it was time to come visit. I think we shall be friends! :) And as I said over at Prairie Maid ...


And ... Cranberry Morning, we do a Top Ten (different topics) every week. Come join us! Music was a toughie (to limit) but they've all been fun! :)

Beth

Heide at ApronHistory said...

What beautiful roses! I love roses but am really too lazy to properly take care of them. :) And all the roses we have planted bloom dark pink?!? Not sure why. It is a very good rose year though. The lavender is blooming now and coreopsis.

Ma What's 4 dinner said...

Gorgeous, as always. Someday you're going to come out into your yard and find me there in a tent. I'm moving in. Don't mind me! :)

Lots of yummy love,
Alex aka Ma What's For Dinner
www.mawhats4dinner.com

Midwest to Midlands said...

Sounds like you are getting some rain this year in the Midwest, just like England! I wish I had those roses you have. Please bring them when you come to live with us LOL! Climbing roses were blooming everywhere in the Cotswolds. Your flowers are beautiful.

Yenta Mary said...

Oh, those are all gorgeous beyond my ability to describe them! The vibrant colors, the delicate petals ... you could just get lost in contemplating their beautiful, individual variations ....

Tiffanee said...

Love that rose bush and what a interesting fact. I so loved this post and all the beautiful flowers. I would love to come walk through your yard right now!!

Carla from The River said...

I have been saying this is the Year of the Iris. My boys laugh at me. My hubby too...but all our neighbors that have Irises, they are gorgeous this year. Mine bloomed so well, I just loved looking at them. I love the rust colored one you got from your sister. Great Photos!

Prairiemaid said...

Good morning, Judy....I tried to post this comment yesterday, but that wasn't happening.

But I love that Seven Sisters Rose, beautiful! Wonder if cuttings would make it to Oklahoma?

The iris have finished up here. They are usually in full bloom around Mothers' Day. Mom raised iris, belonged to iris clubs, etc. My favorite was always a soft yellow that had white centers....lovely! She also had one that was nearly black.

Well, the blackberries are blooming. Beginning to get a few ripe ones. The corn is ready. The wild roses are in full bloom and my hibiscus is blooming.

Have a great day, my friend!

Blessings,
Cheryl

Tami said...

Your whole yard is just beautiful~love the rose! Tami

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails