Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Sweet Potato Beef Stew Recipe Gluten Free

 My All-time Favorite Beef Stew

Oh, the weather outside is frightful...-15 degrees F. as I write this post on Monday night. Brrrrr. It was a good evening for Sweet Potato Stew!

The original stew recipe came from Jean at DelightfulRepast. As you probably know by now, Jean can be counted on to have delectable recipes highlighted by gorgeous photography. When I first made her recipe for beef stew, I realized that I hadn't before known that beef stew could be so delicious! Be sure to visit her site. You won't be sorry. I recommend her ice creams too, but probably not when it's -15 F.

If you check out her recipe for beef stew, you will see that I tweaked it quite a bit for my own personal preference in vegetables and my own level of laziness, i.e. wanting to make it as simple as possible.

So here it is, my version of beef stew.

My Favorite [Sweet Potato] Beef Stew Recipe, Gluten Free:

2 pounds sirloin, diced (or chopped fine)
1 clove garlic, minced
3 T. olive oil

In a large skillet, brown the sirloin and garlic in the olive oil.



Then stir in the following chopped or diced veggies (I like everything cut into smaller pieces. It's just a personal preference.)

     1 onion, peeled and chopped
     2 med-large sweet potatoes, pared and chopped
     2 large parsnips, pared and diced
     about a cup of chopped celery



In a separate bowl, stir together the following:
     1 c. GF chicken broth (Pacific brand free-range organic)
     1/3 c. red wine
     2 t. Worcestershire sauce
     2 T. tomato paste
     1/2 t. marjoram
     salt & coarse pepper

Place the mixture of beef and veggies into a CrockPot.
Pour the sauce over it and stir.

Turn the CrockPot to Low and cook for about 8 hours.

Go find something else to do. This is so easy, you're going to love it.

Serve with a green salad and a little dark chocolate for dessert.
Hershey's does not qualify as 'dark chocolate,' by the way.  You'll need a bite of Ritter Sport or some German brand we pick up at Aldi.(s)

This sweet potato beef stew is the perfect wintertime comfort food when the weather outside is frightful.




***

 This post may be linked to some of the following: Mop it Up Monday and In and Out of the Kitchen and  Cure for the Common Monday and Mealtime Monday and Clever Chicks Blog Hop and Mosaic Monday  and Barn Charm and  The Marketplace  and On the Menu Monday and  Mix it up Monday and Make it Pretty Monday and   What's in the Gunny Sack and  Making the World Cuter Mondays and Make the Scene Monday and  Something I Whipped Up Monday and  Motivate Me Monday and  Making Monday Marvelous and Get Your Craft On and   You're Gonna Love it Tuesday and Take a Look Tuesday and  Tasty Tuesday and Tasty Tuesday and Love Bakes Good Cakes and  Tempt My Tummy Tuesdays  and Overflowing With Creativity and Mom on TimeOut  and Adorned from Above and Cast Party Wednesday and  We Did it Wednesday  and It's a Party at Creative Princess and Artsy Corner Thursday  and The Self-sufficient Home Acre and  I'm Lovin' it Thursday and  Mandatory Mooch   and Foodie Friends Friday and  Serenity Saturday and Get Schooled Saturday  and Inspiration Friday(ThursNite) and Vintage Inspiration Friday and Photo Friday and  A Favorite Thing Saturday and Sunny Simple Sunday and  Saturday Nite Special


'Pears & Berries'
Natural Homemade Vegan Soap


...and more! Check out all our handcrafted soaps at

23 comments:

Denise said...

Going to try this.

Trace4J said...

Oh my..
I love sweet potatoes and the crock pot.
I am in. :)
Woolie JOY
Trace

Terri D said...

That stew really sounds good, Judy! I love easy, and the crockpot is about as easy as you can get! Thanks for sharing! I will go check out her site.

Unknown said...

Jean does have some amazing recipes posted... and I will agree, her ice creams are the bomb... and I WOULD eat them when it was -15 as long as I was sitting next to a nice fire!! :)
This stew looks and sounds delicious. Too bad Chris won't eat sweet potatoes.. he's going to miss out when I make this! lol

Eileen H said...

Definitely the weather for a good stew. I follow Jean's blog, great recipes. Her last post was a recipe for sausage rolls from a good English cookbook!

MadSnapper said...

this does sound very good and makes me wish i had a crock pot. i love sweet potatoes any way they can be cooked, but have not heard of them in stew... your photos are great.

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I love sweet potatoes! I would like to try this recipe! sounds wonderful! Hugs!

Diane said...

Sweet potatoes are really good for you. Looks good!

Anonymous said...

Sounds wonderful! What a creative way to use sweet potatoes. I will certainly have to give this a try! Hope you stay warm & toasty today. Big hugs, xoxo

Anonymous said...

I love sweet potatoes. Thanks so much for sharing. Wishing you a nice day.

RURAL said...

I do love sweet potatoes...and they are good for us...

That sounds pretty good.

Jen

Pearl said...

Oh, and on a cold day, doesn't that just look delicious?!

Greetings from Minneapolis. :-)

Pearl

Grandma Barb's This and That said...

I have a simple beef stew recipe that I make in the crock pot. Next time I make it I'm going to try sweet potatoes instead of regular potatoes.

Yenta Mary said...

I love your blog, as well as Jean's! And sweet potatoes are among my very favorite foods. Parsnips, too, are so underrated and underappreciated. Good to see so many of my favorites all together in this one post ... :)

Amy Powell said...

oh this sounds perfect! I'm almost halfway through with Whole 30 right now, and sweet potatoes and I have become BFF's! thanks for sharing :)

xoxo, Amy @ Interpret As You May

{PS - I'm giving away a Fitness Notebook & would love for you to win!}

Unknown said...

Judy, this looks fabulous! I would never have thought to add sweet potatoes and I adore them, so I really want to try this. Thanks, it was 11 here this morning! Brrrrrrrrrrrrr

Rachel said...

Again, I should know better than to check out your blog when I'm already hungry!! Looks good, I'll pass this along to my friend as well!

:)

Heide at ApronHistory said...

I wouldn't of thought of mixing sweet potatoes and beef stew, but it looks good!

Candace said...

This is just exactly what we need to battle these frigid temps up here in New England. I don't know when I've been so cold. That stew looks amazing!

Mama Hen said...

This looks delicious! Perfect for a cold day! I hope you are doing well! I am over due for some soap. :) Have a great night!

Mama Hen

Chatty Crone said...

Now that sounds so delicious. And easy to in the crock pot. Judy how do you cut those pieces so small? What kind of knife do you have? It looks wonderful.

Linda @ Life and Linda said...

Sweet potatoes are so good for us.
Such a great recipe I would love to try.

Debra Hawkins said...

I love all of your Gluten Free recipes. I am starting to think my husband has a gluten intolerance, if only I could get him to try a Gluten Free lifestyle.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails