Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Autumn Collage - From Our House


Just thought I'd post a few photos of autumn in our backyard. I love September, but there is a slight sense of impending doom as the weather gets colder and we get frost warnings.


September 15, 36 degrees

This is the best way I know of to prevent frost. If I go to all the trouble to cover the vegetables in the garden and the flowers in the yard, chances are really good that the temp won't drop below 33.  I've got to get the houseplants back into the house in the next week or so and I'm wondering where on earth I'll put them. They have enjoyed being outdoors for the summer, and I've enjoyed the extra space without them. Now it's time to bring them in where we'll all huddle together for the long winter ahead. They do remind me of growth and life and hope. That's why I bring them in. each fall.


Rudbeckia Reflections


***

Buy Any Five, Get One FREE
Amber & Musk, Amber Romance
Natural, Handcrafted Vegan Soap

...and more! Check out all my handcrafted soaps at

This post may be linked to one or more of the following: Mop it Up Monday  and Get in My Tummy and  Cure for the Common Monday and  Clever Chicks Blog Hop and  Barn Charm and  The Marketplace  and  Mix it up Monday and Make it Pretty Monday and    Making the World Cuter Mondays and Make the Scene Monday and  Something I Whipped Up Monday and  Motivate Me Monday and  Making Monday Marvelous and Get Your Craft On and Efforts and Assets and   You're Gonna Love it Tuesday and Knick of Time Tuesday and  Creative Showcase and Memories by the Mile and Crafty Texas Girls and  Tweak it Tuesday and  Coastal Charm Tuesday and  Take a Look Tuesday and  Tasty Tuesday  and Love Bakes Good Cakes and Mom on TimeOut  and Adorned from Above and Wildcrafting Wednesday and   Cast Party Wednesday and  We Did it Wednesday  and Whatever Goes Wednesday and  All Things With Purpose and Home & Garden Thursday and It's a Party at Creative Princess and Artsy Corner Thursday  and The Girl Creative, Thursday and  Creative Things Thursday and Be Inspired and Time Travel Thursday and Thrifty Things Friday  and  Friday Fences and  Thursday's Inspiration and  The Self-sufficient Home Acre and  I'm Lovin' it Thursday and Creative Things Thursday and   Mandatory Mooch   and Foodie Friends Friday and Freedom Fridays and From the Farm and   Anything Blue Friday and Junkin' Joe and  Serenity Saturday and Get Schooled Saturday  and Inspiration Friday(ThursNite) and Vintage Inspiration Friday and Photo Friday and Share Your Creativity and Weekend Reflection and   A Favorite Thing Saturday and Sunny Simple Sunday and Sunlit Sunday and  Market Yourself Monday and  Saturday Nite Special

39 comments:

Elizabeth Edwards said...

sounds scary when you say DOOM. but i get what you mean. ha. ha!! love your blooms. ( :

Joyce said...

I just let the dog out and it is chilly here...in the 40's, and I think it dipped below that last night. Fall is my favorite season of the year here, but I don't feel quite ready for it. I'm really hoping winter doesn't show up in October as it has the past two years. I don't want any winter until December.

Susie said...

Beautiful photos of autumn in your area. I like those peppers. It's chilly here this morning. Blessings to you today. xoxo,Susie

MadSnapper said...

i was prepared to say my favorite in the collage was the blue bird bath and yellow flowers, then i got to the bottom and there it was. just so beautiful... no frost here except once in every 4 or 5 years we will get one frost but that is in January.... we have not had one for about 5 years now... when we lived in GA we covered our plants like this.

Samantha said...

Summer's been so short this year, I bet it feels like they live indoors 2/3 of the year!

Diane said...

Ha-- I know exactly what you mean about "doom" and"Where am I going to cram these plants?" I like it when they live outside too! Nothing we can do about it, is there??

Anonymous said...

Wow! Such a pretty collage. I've never been successful with potted plants; I'm glad you have success over wintering them.
I often worry that I post about my pets too often, but then, they are my everyday companions! I've found that most people are animal lovers though.
Wishing you a great day.

Parsley said...

Beautiful photos. I am longing for frost on my porch pumpkins.

TexWisGirl said...

such a beautiful array of color!

Denise said...

Really lovely.

Deanna said...

I'm soaking up every last moment of summer and trying not to dread the cold. We still are having highs in the 90s this week so I've got some time left. ;) I know what you mean about the plants. My kitchen looks like a rain forest in the winter. Ha!

Butterfly 8)(8 Bungalow said...

It's all so pretty and green! I love the photo of your birdbath!

Your winters sound as rough as our summers. Our average September temperature is over 100 and October is in the 90s to 100s.. I can't wait until November then it will be nice until about the end of April, and then it starts all over.

And since I like the cold less than heat I'll suffer the never ending summer. I lived in California for 18 years, but perfect weather comes with a high price tag and earthquakes.

At least the snow is photogenic.

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

We are still getting warm temps here but it sure has changed in the North! A taste of Fall! Pretty soon you'll have color in the trees, too! Enjoy!

Chatty Crone said...

I have to tell you that the photos that you took of your home are so wonderful and uplifting. Makes me want to come for a visit!

Heide at ApronHistory said...

Lol! Kind of like always being prepared for rain and then it never comes. I guess we are far enough south that by the time a frost comes we are ready to be done with the garden!

Paulette said...

I enjoy autumn it is my favorite season. Your collage is marvelous.

Carla from The River said...

Oh, Judy, we are just getting one step closer to my favorite season. :-) LOL

I love your last photo and I love the name you gave it too. :-) If I give you royalties, can we use it for a card? Hee Hee
Love Ya!

Lynn Blaylock said...

It's getting cool here to not down to 36 though. We've remained in the 40's.
Your collage was full of beautiful pics. Have a wonderful week.

Cheryl @ TFD said...

It's feeling fallish today. We're finally getting a bit of rain and it's cool enough to open windows and let fresh air in. Your collage is beautifully done! Fall is my favorite season, it just doesn't last long enough. Winter is a season I'd cheerfully skip if I could!

Beth said...

Judy it looks very pretty in your backyard. Love the shot with the fog. I have decided not to bring any plants in this year, other than tubers (like elephant ears). I brought 4 Boston ferns in for overwintering last year and the leaves dropped and made an awful mess! Not going to do that again!

podso said...

I hope your construction is going well. That is a wonderful collage of autumn at your house. You could have joined the card party! Hope you're doing well!

Karen said...

I had a little of that same feeling this morning when I needed a jacket and umbrella. Your collage is lovely.

SImple and Serene Living said...

I love your collage. I hate the thought of the coming winter months, but the weather is really lovely now. xo Laura

bj said...

We are still having hot hot weather...no signs of autumn other than the crisp coolness in the early mornings.
I'm hanging on to summer with a tight grip....

Terri D said...

Sometimes, in February, we start getting frost at night and everyone covers their tropical plants like that. The yards looks down right ghostly!! It does the job, though!

Under Her Wings said...

Oh, how beautiful, Judy! We are expecting 93 degrees today, then gradually cooling into the 80s. Autumn comes slowly here; that's okay by me. Although I have to say, Wisconsin in the fall is beautiful, and you have captured it wonderfully. Thanks for sharing the lovely photos.

Unknown said...

Gorgeous picture collage!! And it's still amazes me that we can still be in the 100's here and others are preparing for freezing temperatures already!!! lol

Amy Burzese said...

Beautiful, Judy! It is still too hot down here for me, but at least the humidity is down. We had a few nights in the lower 60s and it sure was nice.

Cynthia said...

What a beautiful collage. Stunning pictures. I am a cold weather girl, so this is my season. Unfortunately, don't enjoy the snow but the cool and cold I love!!!

Cynthia

Empty Nester said...

Autumn? What's that? LOL We are having some temps in the 60s at night and only in the low 80s during the day. I'm hoping for 60s during the day soon. Ha! :)

Cherry's Prairie Primitives said...

Loved your beautiful collage!!

'Tsuki said...

I'm very fond of your reflection picture : this flower reflecting in the bird fountain has something so poetical... Lovely indeed.

Anonymous said...

Love the sunflower reflections ~ great shot ~
carol, xo

Jan n Jer said...

Very pretty reflection shot...love your header too! I hear you on the impending doom feeling. Old man winter is just around the corner and the predictions are not good this year!!! This is my fave time of year, the fall colors are so breathtaking and the cool air is invigorating1

Ruth Kelly said...

Nice reflections of the flowers in the bird bath. You do have some wonderful photos.

Jeannie said...

It's still very hot here in Texas, but it will cool down soon. I have tried to grow Black eyed Susans, yours are really lovely reflecting in the bird bath. Here via "From the Farm Blog Hop"

EG CameraGirl said...

I especially love the birdbath shot. WOW!

Viera said...

Lovely composition...well done...

Donna said...

Oh, I love that birdbath!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails